Tuesday 10 August 2010

Would be nice if it was "Feierowend" already...

Sitting on the bench at a bus station, a guy comes up, greets me and sits next to me:

Him: Hi!
Me: Hi! (Look away, hoping to avoid further contact.)
Him: Would be nice if it was "Feierowend" already... ("Feierowend" means the end of a day of work.)
Me, looking at him to make sure he was speaking to me, and since he was:
Yeah, true... (Didn't want to tell him that I'm actually not working at the moment, so it's "Feierowend" for me all the time.)
Him: It's tough as a bus driver...
Me, trying not to be a bitch: Ah... Don't you work eight hours as other people?
Him: Not at all! We work twelve hours! I work from 10 to 22! Of course, we have three hours break inbetween, but what can one do with that?
Me: Ah yes, there's no time to go home, for example... (Making a face to show my compassion for him. Humour the potential crazies, I say. In the meantime the bus arrives and I stand up.)
Him, following: No wonder one is not able to keep a girlfriend in those conditions...
(Me, at this point already heading for the door, hoping that he won't follow, and starting to understand that he was actually trying to hit on me.)
Him, continuing: ...nobody wants a relationship like that!
Luckily, bus drivers in Luxembourg know each other, so as I walk away the guy stays at the front, speaking to the driver.

As I disappear to the back of the bus I hear him saying: Would be nice if it was "Feierowend" already...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pity him... though what is worse than a chatty bus driver? Humm, maybe an elderly lady chatting with the only available cashier at a bank... These people are out to get us! Freaks

Beliza said...

Yeah, I pitied him too... I felt a bit bad, to be honest, but I really was not in a mood for this...